Hospice of the Panhandle services are covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurers; however, Hospice of the Panhandle is a non profit organization that provides care for any eligible person regardless of insurance coverage or ability to pay.
All patients receive basic core services. Core hospice services include:
- Professional and volunteer staff support
- Medical supplies related to the hospice diagnosis
- 24 hour on-call support by a hospice nurse, social worker and chaplain
- Bereavement support for the family caregivers
Other services provided depends on which payor category the patient qualifies for. There are three payor categories:
1. Private Pay
A person may fall under the private pay category if he or she is uninsured or the health insurance policy does not cover hospice care. Hospice of the Panhandle provides basic core services to the under insured or uninsured.*
* Due to our agreement with Medicare, all patients must be billed. Those who are without the resources to pay the bill are referred to the Hospice CFO who will assist the patient or family member with the bill.
2. Medicare & West Virginia Medicaid
Under the Medicare and Medicaid agreements Hospice of the Panhandle must accept payment as payment in full. No additional billing of the patient or any secondary insurer is allowed. If expenses exceed reimbursement, the hospice must raise the needed funds to provide the service. The package of covered services includes the following as related to the comfort management of the life-limiting illness.
Routine Home Care
Core services plus all of the following as needed for the comfort management of the hospice diagnosis:
- Medical equipment
- Labs and tests
- Consulting therapists
5 day stay in a skilled nursing care facility--designed to give caregivers a break.
Hospital care for comfort management of acute symptoms that are related to the hospice diagnosis.
Crisis nursing care in the home or nursing home at the time of a medical emergency--designed to help people stay home when serious changes are occurring.
3. Private Insurance
Many private insurance policies include hospice coverage. Hospice intake staff will investigate benefit options on behalf of the patient. All patients who are covered by private insurance receive:
- Core Services
- Other negotiated services
To inquire about hospice services for yourself or someone you know,
contact our Access Center at
(304) 264-0406 or (800) 345-6538