People living in nursing homes can receive hospice. Having hospice care in a nursing facility gives patients the best of both worldsóresidential and end-of-life care.
Why should you ask for hospice care in a nursing facility?
- More care. By having two sets of caregivers working together, there are more opportunities to provide for the needs and wants of patients.
- Two different kinds of expert care. Nursing facility staff are the experts in providing residential care. Hospice staff are the experts in providing end-of-life care. Together the resident benefits from two sets of experts providing care.
- Avoid trips to the hospital. By having hospice manage disease symptoms at the nursing facility, residents can avoid trips to the hospital.
- Grief support. Families of hospice patients may take advantage of grief support during and after their loved one's illness.
How do hospice and the nursing facility work together?
The Nursing Facility Provides:
- Communication with hospice,
- Expertise with regard to long term care including aging and dementia,
- Services ordinarily provided to residents including personal care, assistance with activities of daily living, socialization, and nursing care including giving medications,
- A safe and comfortable living space including a room with personal furnishings and meals that accommodate special diets, and
- Surrogate family and caregivers for patients who have no family.
The Hospice Provides:
- Services of all the members of the hospice team, including hospice physicians, nurses, social workers, hospice aides, chaplains and volunteers,
- Expertise with regard to palliative care, pain and symptom management, dying and bereavement,
- Management of the patient's life-limiting illness,
- 24 hour on-call support to handle questions and emergencies,
- Grief support to families and nursing home staff, and
- Communication with the nursing home.
Hospice of the Panhandle partners with the following nursing facilities:
- Berkeley Springs Center, Berkeley Springs, WV
- Canterbury Center, Shepherdstown, WV
- Care Haven Center, Martinsburg, WV
- Hampshire Center, Romney, WV
- Hampshire Memorial Hospital Long Term Care Unit, Romney, WV
- Clary Grove, Martinsburg, WV
- Shenandoah Center, Charles Town, WV
- Willow Tree Manor, Ranson, WV
For more information about hospice services in a nursing facility, please
contact us at (304) 264-0406, (800) 345-6538 or firstname.lastname@example.org.